Andrew M. Teitz has been recognized by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America™ in Land Use and Zoning Law and as one of the country’s Top Lawyers™ by Corporate Counsel. Andy serves several municipalities, community organizations, and state agencies, advising them on issues that span training, historic preservation law, litigation, affordable housing, design review and smart growth studies and ordinances.
Andy was instrumental in drafting new state enabling legislation on zoning and land development and has drafted dozens of municipal land use ordinances. He has also been appointed as a Special Master by the Rhode Island Supreme Court.
He represents a wide range of clients including Fortune 500 corporations, developers, universities, municipalities, family-owned businesses, and individuals in matters before city and town councils, zoning and planning boards, historic commissions, coastal zone agencies throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
Outside the office, Andy is a life-long sailor, and currently sails an old Catalina 30 that he co-owns, and OPB (other people’s boats). He is an automotive enthusiast and a 20-year member of the BMW Car Club of America.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Certified Professional Planner, American Institute of Certified Planners
- Certified Arbitrator, Rhode Island Superior Court
Honors & Achievements
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV-Rated Attorney
- Selected as 2021 Lawyer of the Year for Litigation – Land Use and Zoning
- Best Lawyers 2024 – Land Use and Zoning, Litigation-Land Use and Zoning
- Trinity College (Phi Beta Kappa)
- Columbia University School of Law
- Rhode Island
- U.S District Court for the District of Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court